Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 6, 2010 - Day 330

Da Vinci watercolor on 140lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper

For August 29, 2009 I did a "Rainbow Reflection" painting. I was first taught this sgraffito technique by Alan Mark Cross of Victoria, BC. In his class he showed how to create a sunflower painting by putting layers of thick paint onto wet paper and then scraping back areas with a palette knife to create leaves and petals. I went on to use it for landscape type paintings.

I call them "Rainbow Reflections" partly because they are created using pure colors but also because what you see in the painting reflects who you are. Some people see an abstract painting while others see a landscape. I even had people who saw fairies hiding among the leaves. These "Rainbow Reflections" also reflect me and my love of color.

They are fairly simple to create but I probably only have a 25% success rate with them. They either work or they don't. There is no middle ground with these paintings. I would like to be able to at least achieve a 50% success rate so I think I will do a series of them in order to improve my skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment