Monday, June 7, 2010

June 7, 2010 - Day 301

Da Vinci watercolor & Prismacolor colored pencil on
140lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper

For the last couple of weeks I have been wanting to go back to watercolor and colored pencil paintings. Usually I would paint the watercolor first and then touch up the painting with colored pencil but today I thought that I would try something different.

I completed the sailboat first in colored pencil and added broad strokes of white colored pencil over the water area and the distant snow-capped mountains. I then applied blue washes over the colored pencil. The wax of the colored pencil acts as a resist and the paint doesn't stick to it. This worked out even better than I thought it would.

I also had a "happy accident" with the middle mountains. As I was darkening the color it created back runs or "cauliflowers" which I think look really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment