Sunday, May 9, 2010

May 9, 2010 - Day 272


Ink & Watercolor on 250gsm Stonehenge 100% Cotton Vellum Paper

I haven't named many of my paintings in this blog but the idea for this painting came to me hand in hand with the title. I have called this one "Luck Lost". According to superstition to bring good luck a horseshoe needs to be hung with the points up to "hold in" the luck. If you hang it upside down the luck runs out.

I realized tonight that I was trying to accomplish too much at one time. Not only am I working with a new medium (ink and wash) I was also trying new subject matter (fantasy) AND free hand sketching all my designs. I have never drawn anything freehand. I have always used reference photographs. While I would like to learn how to draw and sketch trying to do it along with everything else was just too much.

So for tonight's painting I went back to what I know and created a still-life using a reference photo of a horseshoe I have hanging on my wall. The only thing I am experimenting with is the ink and wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment