Wednesday, April 14, 2010

April 14, 2010 - Day 247


Ink on 250gsm Stonehenge 100% Cotton Vellum Finish Paper

Meryl Streep today. Getting better all the time but still not totally accurate. I played with the shadows, highlights and contrast on my computer after completing the painting and realized that I am still not going dark enough in the shadows. If I would have gone darker around the edge of the face and in the shadow of her hair the painting would have really looked awesome.

Going dark enough has been a problem that I have struggled with right from the start of this project. It is so intimidating for me to go really dark because there is no turning back once I do that. If I don't have the shapes right or I go too dark then the painting is ruined and I have to start over. The only exception to that is when I paint with acrylics because I can always paint lighter colors over top of darks.

No comments:

Post a Comment