Thursday, April 1, 2010

April 1, 2010 - Day 234


Ink on 250gsm Stonehenge 100% Cotton Vellum Watercolor Paper

One of my goals this year has been to learn how to paint accurate star portraits. I haven't had much luck creating likenesses in paint. Today I was bored with the ink and wash paintings that I had been doing so I decided to try creating a portrait of Hayden Panettiere who plays Claire on the TV Show Heroes.

I really didn't think that I would succeed in creating the likeness so I pulled out some green scrap paper and used a fine line marker to create the outlines of the features and hair. I then used ink mixed with different amounts of water to shade the face and hair. I really like the way it turned out - too bad that it is on scrap paper. This isn't the first time that I have created something good when I am practicing. I think it may be because there is no pressure to succeed. One of these days I am going to have to learn to use my "good" paper to practice just in case everything turns out the way I envision it.


I then tried to duplicate the painting using my "good" watercolor paper. While I like the results I think the practice portrait looks more like Hayden then the final portrait. I would like to try putting watercolor washes over the ink painting but tonight I was afraid of ruining what I was able achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment