Tuesday, March 9, 2010

March 9, 2010 - Day 211

Ink and watercolor on 140lb Arches hot press watercolor paper


I was so bored with using a pen to ink the outline of the subject that I decided to use india ink and a brush. I also decided to spray a small amount of water on the paper first. This was a similar technique to the one I used for the space scenes with acrylic paint.


I prepared 3 ink solutions - one full strength, one slightly diluted and one very diluted. I dipped the brush in the full strength ink and started free drawing onto the slightly wet paper. Then I repeated the process with the diluted ink and let it dry. Once it was dry I then added the color with watercolor.


I like the way it turned out so I tried a couple more paintings. One of those paintings I decided to not add color. I think I prefer the black and white one over the colored one.





No comments:

Post a Comment