Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 3, 2010 - Day 146

Acrylic on 140lb Aquarelle Watercolor paper

This is the first in a series of star portraits - or it is suppose to be anyways. The reason I chose to paint famous people is because I want to be able to accurately paint portraits. I think portraits are the hardest thing to paint because if you get any little thing wrong it won't look like the person that you are trying to paint. The end result may be beautiful but but it won't be recognizable as the subject.

I think I am having the same problem painting people as I did painting landscapes. With landscapes my mind kept saying "but trees are green and water is blue". With people, my mind keeps saying "skin is the color of those pencil crayons labelled flesh". I have a feeling that if I put some funky colors like blue, green or purple in the shadows that it would really make the portrait "pop".

By the way, this was suppose to be a painting of Halle Berry when she had short hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment