Saturday, January 2, 2010

January 2, 2010 - Day 145




Acrylic on 140lb Aquarelle watercolor paper


I started this painting by doing an under painting in lilac. I had done a few watercolor paintings of people and the purple color worked very well for shadows. I have to admit though that the under painting would make a really funky alien type person for a sci-fi painting. I really like it.


I then layered many many layers of thinned flesh color to create the skin tone. The first couple of layers were too yellow, then it was too dark, then it was too light but finally I achieved this result. I was very tempted to add more highlights to the skin but I quit while I was ahead. Originally I had her hair behind her ear but the ear didn't look right once I was done so I just painted the hair over top.


You may have noticed that both my paintings of people so far are of their left eye. It is not some artistic statement but rather due to the fact that I am right-handed and find it easier to paint detail on that side of the paper. I promise not all my paintings of people will be of their left eye (smile).

No comments:

Post a Comment