Saturday, January 16, 2010

January 16, 2010 - Day 159


Acrylic on 250lb Bockingford watercolor paper

I am totally blocked today. I didn't want to paint another one of these paintings but I literally did not have the faintest idea of what to paint. I am just stuck on wanting to paint a series of the cast of my favorite shows but I can't draw or paint portraits free hand. I can paint portraits from photographs but all the photographs of stars would be copyright protected. I spent 3 hours today trying to paint portraits free hand and all I ended up with was a childish mess.

I was so tempted to just give up this blog and give up painting. I could just work at my stupid job for the rest of my life until I die. Then I wouldn't have worry about copyright or originality or painting skills.

Then a thought occurred to me. Maybe it is time to look at my art in a different light. I have always looked at it as a way of making money from home. A way to be self-employed with complete freedom to do as I wish. I never really looked at what or how I wanted to paint.

Maybe all that talk about finding your voice in art isn't about pleasing the established art community/society/galleries but rather about finding out what you want to express through your art and how you want to go about that.

That being said, I don't have the foggiest idea of ANY of that. I don't know what I want to express or how. Up until this point my goal was to see how accurately I could paint any given subject. I don't know where I am going from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment