Friday, January 15, 2010

January 15, 2010 - Day 158

Acrylic on 250lb Bockingford watercolor paper

Tonight I ended up doing a still life because I needed to feel that I succeeded at a painting for the first time in a week.

My usual method of painting is to use a photo editing program to crop an image to the size I need. I then transfer the basic design to my canvas or paper before I start painting.

This works really well for me when I have my own photos or copyright free photos from image data bases like Wetcanvas.com. My frustration is that any star portraits that I do are probably copyright infringement because the photos were taken by professional photographers. It doesn't matter how much I change the photo my reference image would be copyright protected.

Yesterday and today I tried to paint star portraits free style but have become completely discouraged in the attempt. The thoughts currently running through my head right now are:

"I'm not really an artist because I need to transfer a design before I can paint"


"I'll never do much more than create accurate renderings of a subject. That's not art that is just copying"


"I don't possess any originality at all"


"I will never be a good enough artist to make a living painting"


"I suck"


All that being said, a lot of this probably comes from the fact that my back has been killing me all week and having been able to sleep for more than an hour or two at a time. I just feel so discouraged now. My main goal this year is to make at least a part-time income from my art. How the hell am I suppose to do that when I can't even come up with a personal style or original concept?

No comments:

Post a Comment