Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January 13, 2010 - Day 156

Acrylic on 250lb Bockingford watercolor paper

This is the last star portrait in this style. I thought that I would like creating them because I like bright colors and the works of other artists done in a similar style but I absolutely hate painting these.

One positive thing about trying this style though is that it really got me to thinking. What exactly makes someone recognizable to us? Is it the overall impression? One dominant feature? Planes and shape of the face? Highlights and shadows?

Tomorrow's painting I am going to start experimenting in this area. I am going to use non-realistic colors so that skin color doesn't play a factor in recognition. I really don't know how I am going to go about it but I am excited about the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment