Having problems with creating form on black horses. The body of this horse isn't bad but I had to resort to using China White Da Vinci watercolor mixed with blue/grey to get the highlights on the black parts of the body. The head was very hard to do and there is no indication of where the head joins the neck.
Part of the problem might just be the size of the paintings. When I am creating a painting of just the horse's head there is more room to put the brush strokes. With something this small the slightest shake of my hand will make a mess.
But I like these small paintings. Maybe next year I will challenge myself to a year of large paintings. That would really be a challenge after a year of miniatures!
Saturday, October 10, 2009
Friday, October 9, 2009
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Da Vinci watercolor on 140 lb Saunders Waterford watercolor paper
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
First painting with the Saunders Waterford watercolor paper. The Saunders Waterford is shown underneath the Aquarelle paper in the picture below. As you can see the Aquarelle is quite a bit whiter than the Saunders Waterford.
My initial impression is that I don't like this paper. I have always used a bright white paper so I don't like the color. The Saunders Waterford also absorbs the paint differently but I can't really say in what way. It just doesn't seem to flow as well. Finally there also seems to be more "tooth" or grain than the papers that I am used to using.
That being said, I don't think the type of paper really would have affected the quality of my painting today. When I was little I used to draw horses all the time but this is the first horse that I have painted in Da Vinci watercolor. I think that there must be an easier way than what I did today. I painted it with probably 10 layers of thin paint mostly in blue/black but there were some layers of dark brown.
I know there is a way to paint it wet-in-wet with no more than 3 layers but right now I really don't know how to do that.
Back to the library for me!