Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December 1, 2009 - Day 113

Acrylic on Strathmore linen canvas

I have mixed feelings about this painting. On one hand I kind of like it because it is funky and vibrant but on the other hand I don't like it because it is not absolutely realistic. I am starting to get the hang of painting fur and it definitely requires using thicker paint rather than using thin layers.

I need more practice seeing and painting the form of my subjects. It doesn't matter whether it is a flower, an animal or an object getting the form right is crucial to creating an accurate painting. With hard and smooth objects it is easy for me to see the form but with a furry animals or soft flower petals I find it difficult to see what the form is. If I can't see the form then I have problems painting the subject.

With this dog I really didn't know the angles of the snout to the rest of the head or how the snout joins with the face. I think I almost got it right but there is something not quite right with it. Once I am able to identify where the problem is then I can usually fix it the next time I paint the same subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment