Monday, October 5, 2009

October 5, 2009 - Day 56

Da Vinci watercolor on 140 lb Aquarelle cold press watercolor paper

Although I like the way that my "Rainbow Reflection" landscapes are turning out I am starting to get really bored with them. Tomorrow I am going to start something new - I just don't know what that will be yet. There are a lot of different things that I would like to try like science fiction/fantasy, portraits or western art. I even want to attempt a series of abstracts at some point.

Tonight I prepared a colorfast test for my Da Vinci paints. I painted strips of pure paint for all the colors I have. Tomorrow I will cover up the top half of the strip and place the paper in the window. A month or two from now I will remove the covering to see how much the paint has faded.

I was reading about in "Make Your Watercolors Look Professional" by Carole Katchen. She said that she had bought a bright and beautiful watercolor painting but when she went to re-frame it she noticed how faded it really had become. She said that she would never buy anything from that artist again because the paintings would lose their color and vibrancy over time (paraphrased that bit). I thought that it might be a good idea to see if the colors that I use are permanent or not. If they aren't then when I make larger paintings I will have to spend the extra money to get special glass with UV protection when framing the painting.

Right now I don't really need to worry about it because I mostly paint ACEOs which are collected like sports cards and are put in plastic sleeves and kept in binders.

No comments:

Post a Comment