Sunday, October 4, 2009

October 4, 2009 - Day 55

Da Vinci watercolor on 140 lb Aquarelle cold press watercolor paper

I am still in the "I don't want to paint today" stage so I did another "Rainbow Reflection" painting. The nice thing about these paintings is that I don't plan them. I wet the paper then randomly paint on pure undiluted paint. It is only when I start the sgraffito (scratching with palette knife) that any idea of form comes to mind.

Today I was thinking of doing a mountain lake. So I put in blue at the top and bottom of the painting and then added Gamboge (yellow) Yellow Ochre, Hooker's Green and Burnt Umber to the middle of the painting. As I did the sgraffito though the paint flowed down into the blue that was to be the lake making it green as well. At that point it was reminding me of the rolling hills of Montana so I scratched in grasses and some rocks to complete the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment