Wednesday, October 21, 2009

October 21, 2009 - Day 72

Reference Image




Da Vinci watercolor on Saunders Waterford paper

Damn! For a brief moment I was able to see the abstract in real life. The ability is gone for the moment but I am sure that it will be back again.

Today's reference photo made it easy to see in abstract. The colors and shape of the water jumped out at me when I saw this photograph by Kelly Gesner in the Photo of the Day article in today's paper.

I realized that I could create abstract paintings from the world around me. Whether I was looking at water or sunlight on flowers all I would need to do is remove the detail leaving just the shapes and/or colors.

I know that there is more to abstract paintings than just simplification of a subject but this is the first time in my life that I have ever been able to look at real life and see it in abstract. That is a big step for me.

One thing that I will need to find out though is if there is a copyright issue in a case like this when I am using another person's photo as the basis for an abstract painting. Is the abstract different enough to make it my own or am I infringing on the rights of the photographer by using their picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment