Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 1, 2009 - Day 52

Da Vinci watercolor on 140 lb Aquarelle cold press watercolor paper

Thought I would try my "Rainbow Reflection" of a lady dancing. The technique has great potential if I can learn to manipulate it to do what I want.

I must have thrown out 10 paintings today just trying to get one that was half way decent. I liked the way the dress came together but I totally messed up the head and one side of the body. After it was dried I re-wet that side of the painting and applied another layer of paint which I scraped with a palette knife to indicate the arm and the head.

Part of the problem may be that I paint so small. I would have much better control of the sgraffito if my paintings were larger but then I would have problems keeping the paper wet enough to do the technique. Maybe once this project is complete I will start another one where I paint large paintings.

1 comment:

  1. I think she's stunning!! I can't wait to see these up close - hard to believe they are so small... This is definitely one of my top 3 favs so far!!

    ReplyDelete