Friday, September 18, 2009

September 18, 2009 - Day 39

Da Vinci watercolor on 140lb Aquarelle cold press watercolor paper

Today I tried to paint a crumpled up Kleenex 3 times but just couldn't see where the shadows and highlights should go. I thought it would be so simple. It looked easy but I just couldn't do it. Ironically, the crystal bowl that I did on August 18 - Day 18 looked so difficult but was much easier.

I know how to paint hard objects. I instinctively know how to shade and shadow - to some degree at least. With soft objects like clothing or fur I don't have that knowledge so these subjects don't come easy to me.

These repeated failures are making feel blocked.

It isn't really that I am blocked though - what I am trying to do is press outside my comfort zone by attempting to paint things that I either don't know how to paint or that I am not good at painting.

Repeated practice is the only way that I am going to learn and become better.

No comments:

Post a Comment