Sunday, September 13, 2009

September 13, 2009 - Day 34

Da Vinci watercolor on 140lb Aquarelle cold press watercolor paper


Wow, it is amazing what happens when you change the type and size of brush! On previous paintings I was using #4 and #6 round Robert Simmons brushes for the main body of the work and a #2 round Kolinsky sable for the details. Today I used a #00 gold sable liner brush for the detail and it made all the difference in the world.


The Kolinsky sable isn't that much larger than the liner but it was just that little bit too big for the small size of these paintings (3 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches). I wasn't able to get the fine fur detail that I wanted with it. The liner allowed me to paint individual hairs in different colors to get a more accurate fur detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment