Friday, September 11, 2009

September 11, 2009 - Day 32

Da Vinci watercolor and Prismacolor colored pencil on
140 lb Aquarelle cold press watercolor paper


Well, I don't know if I am getting any better at painting cats but I am definitely getting faster. This painting only took me 1 1/2 hours to do. I still had to use colored pencils to add highlights to the fur and for the whiskers but right now I don't have the knowledge on how to paint the "fuzziness" with watercolor paint alone.

Watercolor is the opposite of painting in acrylics. With acrylics (and I am guessing oils) I always paint the dark colors first and then add progressively lighter paint until I finish with the highlights. With watercolors though, you can't paint light over dark. You have to know where your highlights are going to be and basically paint around them. That's where I am having the problems and why I have to resort to using colored pencil to add highlights afterwards. I could also use acrylic paint or gouache but I prefer the precision of the color pencils.

No comments:

Post a Comment