Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 22, 2009 - Day 12

Da Vinci watercolor on 140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper

A more "painterly" approach to a subject that I would usually try to work to death. With having to complete the ACEOs in one day I am finding that my style is starting to loosen up a lot. In the past, when I painted animals I would obsess about every detail and hair. I guess because I really admire the work of Robert Bateman I thought that I HAD to paint animals with his level of expertise in order for my painting to be "good enough". Below is the link to his official website where you can see his fabulous nature paintings:

http://www.robertbateman.ca/art/arttitlepage.html


I don't know if I will ever have the skill to paint photorealistically like Robert Bateman but I think that with time and practice I will be able to accurately portray the essence of the animal that I am painting. At least I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. Photorealistic is amazing, but for my tastes I prefer things that show more emotion. I think your cat painting captures the essence of the catnap!

    ReplyDelete