Friday, August 21, 2009

August 21, 2009 - Day 11



Da Vinci watercolor and Prismacolor colored pencil on
140 lb Bockingford cold press watercolor paper

Well, this painting was definitely outside of my comfort zone. I had taken the reference picture while on holidays 2 years ago and was just too scared to attempt to paint it. There is just so much going on in the reference image with all the white and the brick that it was very intimidating to me. Once I started it though I found that everything could be broken up into different projects so to speak.

First I concentrated on getting the brick work done then I moved on to the door and window. I continued the rest of the painting by just focusing on one object at a time. Usually, any book that I have read on painting has said that you need to look at the painting as a whole and not focus on any one area. That you need to move freely about the painting.

I just couldn't paint it that way. Maybe after I have painted 365 paintings I will be able to paint the way the books say but right now I have to use whatever style works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment